Friday, January 1, 2016

fresh start

Today is my favorite non-holiday day of the year.
January 1st.
01/01/
1-1-
The beginning. The start. Fresh. New. Clean.
To the jaded naysayers who insist it is just a random day, artificial and meaningless, I say.
Well, DUH!
ALL dates are artificial, the concept of marking time, naming it, is a human construct and you could make the argument that all dates are meaningless - the Earth is gonna keep spinning whether we keep track of it or not.
We imbue days with meaning for ourselves.
I happily choose to consider today another chance to re-concentrate my efforts at self-improvement 

Technically, every morning is a new start, but it is easy to be so swept up in that day's events that I forget to be mindful of that. 
Plus, it is so very easy to be critical of yesterday's mistakes (or every mistake of your life, like the time I lied to my first grade teacher - yes, that still pops into my head every once in a while) that I forget to forgive my own frailties, my human-ness, to start over each day.
New Year's Day is an opportunity to truthfully evaluate where I am and where I want to be and then mindfully make a strategy of how to make that happen.

This year's resolution is to actively work on my 101 Goals in 1001 Days. 
What are yours?
Good luck on getting there, friends.
Work hard, but be gentle with yourself when things don't quite follow the plan.

     

No comments: